In addition to being exposed to Judo as a toddler with Sensei Edwin Takemori of Maryland Judo Association,
learning Tiger Hawk Karate from Sabum John "Hawk" Hawkins at Smallwood Middle School (through
Charles County Park & Recreation)
from 1984 to 1987, Tangsoodo from Sabum David Dorsey at Smallwood Middle School from 1987 to 1988, and joining the IIMAA in 2012,
membership in Kyusho International, and Kyusho Jitsu World Alliance,
I have attained the following rankings:
- 4th Degree Black Belt, Cecil Ryu Taekwondo (my own ITF/Judo Hybrid mixed Independent style),
publicly graded by an independent black belt committee, September 13, 2014.
- 1st Degree Black Belt and Certified Level 1 Instructor, Kyusho Jitsu World Alliance", December 1, 2016.
- 3rd Degree Black Belt, International Independent Martial Arts Association in 2012.
- 2nd Degree Black Belt, ITF and WTF style Taekwondo, from
Grandmaster Lawrence Ford (9th dan). September 2008.
Grandmaster Ford is affiliated with legendary Simba Dojang in the Washington DC area.
- 1st Degree Black Belt Maryland Judo Association, April 29, 2012. I was an assistant instructor (as in one of many
College Park Judo Club in 2011 and 2012. I also trained at Harmony Hall Judo Club under Shodan Steve Manzek from 2000 to 2007,
the Myoyu Dojo and at the now defunct Oxon Hill Judo Club, which was part of PG Judo.
- 1st Degree Black Belt, Viper Strike Taekwondo (ITF style). Instructor: Steve Shorts. 2003. Acted as an assistant instructor 2003-2004.
Mr. Shorts was also affiliated with Simba Dojang.
- 1st Gup, Tangsoodo Brown Belt Tompkins Karate Association. Instructor: Master Gil "Junior" Whitfield. 2000-2003. Participated as a student, assistant instructor and was a black belt candidate.
- Blue Belt, Tangsoodo (Jung Su), under Master Brian Costello, 1999? 1998? Somewhere around there.
- Six weeks of Western Boxing while in M.O.S. school as a Marine Reservist in North Carolina, in 1989. Competed in one amateur boxing match.
- Limited knowledge and exposure to: Western Boxing, Shaolin Gung Fu, Pressure Points Fighting, Jujitsu, Escrima (Filipino Stick & Knife Fighting), Yoga, Okinawan Karate (at Welch's Okinawan Karate).
Taekwondo Forms that I can teach:
- ITF Taekwondo Forms (these are what students would be graded on): Chon Gi, Dan Gun, Do San, Won Yo, Ju Go, Jun Gun, Toi Guye, Hwa Rang, Choon Moo, Kwang Gae, Po Eun, Gae Beck,
Eui Am, Choon Jang, Ko Dang, Juche, Sam Il, Yoo Sin, Choi Yong, Yon Gae, Ul Ji, Moon Moo. Students only have to know the standard 9 for 1st degree and first 12 for 2nd degree.
Here is an interview I did for Whistle Kick Martial Arts Radio.
A special thanks and noteable mention for and of people whose exchanges,
teachings and sparring encounters helped me out, including, but not limited to: my brother, Anthony Washington,
PFC Minh (USMC in 1990), Bratt Bowman, Orlando Brisco, David Hacker, Edward Dillard, my friend & elemantary schoolmate Otha Washington III and
a host of other relatives, students, teachers and friends who took the time to work with me, answer my questions,
share ideas and talking me into going back and getting a black belt.
- Grandmaster Laurence Ford 240-463-5578 email@example.com
- Master Steve Shorts (ask for the Viper Strike Taekwondo Instructor at Harmony Hall) 301-203-6040 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sensei Steve Seaquist, head sensei of Myoyu Dojo
The class at Temple Hills Community Center would not be possible without assistance from
guest instructors and senior students.